The events China experienced throughout the late 20th century, following World War II, prove beneficial to some and devastating to others. Read this blog to discover the reactions many different post war Chinese citizens had to events and rulers that played a major role in decolonizing post-war china.

Invasion of Tibet 入侵西藏 July 4th 1950-Present Day



The Dalai Lama expresses his ideals and his views on life in this passage. Also, he expresses his feelings toward the Chinese, and as a strong believer in benevolence, his peaceful tactics are quite profound throughout the journal entry.

On October 1, 1949, the People's Republic of China was formally proclaimed in Beijing, and the following year launched an armed invasion of my dear land of Tibet. When the China's People's Liberation Army invaded Tibet, Tibet was a peaceful, united, independent state. Although I like to think of myself as an equal to every other human being, once Tibet was invaded by the Chinese, I knew I needed to assume leadership and consult with the Chinese. As a firm believer in benevolent tactics, I would not go to war with the Chinese, but rather, I attempted to reason with Mao, who at the time was 19 and older than I, to remove his forces from our land.
When Mao refused to withdraw his troops, I, in honor of the peace, decided to make a compromise. In 1951 we passed the Seventeen-Point agreement, officially incorporating Tibet into part of China. Although Tibet was now part of China, Mao had guaranteed there would be no alteration of Tibetan political, cultural, and religious systems and institutions. Although I, as I’m sure other Tibetans were as well, was very disappointed, I was also very fascinated with China’s culture and ability to westernize and so I decided to learn more about westernizing my own country from Mao. When Mao and the People's Republic of China failed to adhere to the Seventeen Point agreement by imposing democratic reform on Tibet, my distressed Tibetans executed the March 1959 uprising in Lhasa. On March 10, 1959, the people of Lhasa assembled together and called for the Chinese to leave Tibet, thus marking the beginning of the uprising. Their first pleas were peaceful and so I approved of their calls for freedom, which accounts for my astonishment in China’s response. The Chinese crackdown was harsh. An estimated 87,000 Tibetans were killed, arrested or deported to labor camps, and fled to exile. As angered as I was with the Tibetans, I tried very hard to let loose my anger and feel compassion toward them. As a result of the harsh Chinese crackdown, the revolt against Chinese rule in Tibet began in 1956 and continued, without my consent, until about 1976. Throughout the years it continued, an estimated 1,200,000 Tibetans were killed and more than 6,000 religious sites were destroyed.
When I became the target of the Chinese, I was forced to flee my dear country and I was warmly fostered in Africa. Rather than stay here and watch my country suffer from afar, I decided to take action by traveling around the world trying to obtain support from many different people. Many people and countries were very supportive and offered generous aiding for my country, Tibet.
When a proposal to apply the ethical and spiritual principals from each discipline to the concrete task of applying pressure on China to allow for a free Tibet was put forth, I was weary at first. This proposal launched a new energy, and the logistics of economic divestment were discussed by leaders who had begun the same divestment policy that led to the end of apartheid in South Africa. I must admit though, that in spite of my sensitive and strained relationship with the Chinese government, my interest was immense and so, for the first time, and in a historic statement, I publicly agreed to seriously examine the possibility of an international boycott of Chinese goods.
When I finally agreed and the plan of action began to take shape, I felt the need to continuously remind everyone that the main purpose of this international boycott was not to harm China but rather to create "synthesis" and to return from the meeting and apply the insights that they had received from the Synthesis Dialogues and execute them in a very real way into each participant’s culture and field of discipline. I always like to say, "If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." I cautioned continuously that positive change meant not harming anyone, even the thousands of Chinese who may have been affected by such an economic boycott.
Today China continues to hold a tight grasp on Tibet. I, for one, have adopted a “middle way” approach. My new stance on Tibet is for self-rule as opposed to total independence. Although my compromised stance is met with suspicion in Beijing and has caused some resentment in the exiled Tibetan communities, I will continue to stay true to my peaceful ways. Western countries, which I have gained the support of, encourage China to open dialogue with me, but they are hesitant to be too pushy as primarily because they do not wish to endanger trade and diplomatic relations with Beijing.

Dalai Lama
达赖喇嘛